- Partner, 1991
- Partner, 1991
As a partner at Viola Law Firm P.C., Lawrence S. Viola is committed to representing clients in Northern California. He focuses his practice on general litigation, family law and personal injury, handling cases that involve corporate disputes and dissolutions, contract disputes, wrongful death, complex property division and child custody.
After graduating from Denison University in 1982 with a Bachelor of Arts in philosophy and English, Mr. Viola went on to earn his Juris Doctor in 1986 from California Western School of Law. He is admitted to practice in California's state courts as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California, the Supreme Court of the United States and the United States Tax Court.
With nearly 30 years of experience, Mr. Viola knows the value of taking the time to get to know his clients. In turn, his personal attention provides them with the best possible representation. Through careful attention to the details of every case, he has had widespread success. Mr. Viola is responsible for handling a premises liability case that required Palo Alto to pay the city's biggest settlement ever, and his litigation skills in a personal injury case netted a multimillion-dollar settlement for the victim.
Staying on top of legal trends is important to Mr. Viola; he holds memberships with the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, the Consumer Attorneys of California, the American Bar Association and the San Mateo County Bar Association. He also serves his community as a board member for the Burlingame Soccer Club.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Personal Injury
- California, 1987
- Supreme Court of California
- California State Courts and Courts of Appeal
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
- California Western School of Law, San Diego, California
- J.D. - 1986
- Denison University
- B.A. - 1982
- Major: English
- Major: Philosophy
- Mr. Viola tried to verdict the issue of the validity of a post-marital agreement, resulting in a multi-million dollar award to his client.
- Mr. Viola obtained a $300,000 award of sanctions against his client’s husband as a result of the husband’s obstreperous conduct during the litigation of the underlying family law matter.
- Mr. Viola negotiated a multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of clients who were seriously injured in a car crash by a drunk driver leaving his office holiday party. The defendants included the driver's employer, and other companies who supervised and served alcohol at the party.
- Mr. Viola represented the heirs of a family killed in an Alaska Airlines crash, and successfully mediated their wrongful death claims against the airline, achieving a multi-million dollar settlement.
- Mr. Viola negotiated the largest settlement ever paid at that time by City of Palo Alto for premises liability, representing a client who was injured when she tripped on a defect in the city sidewalk.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- San Mateo Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Member
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Member